The story of 606 N. Presa

Our History

A 1922 high-rise built on generations of Maverick family history — and a downtown landmark that has repeatedly found new life.

The setting

The Maverick story begins before the building itself.

For much of the nineteenth century, the Maverick family held significant property around what became Houston Street. By the 1880s, contemporary accounts credited the family with helping drive the commercial development of the corridor.

On the present site stood the Maverick Hotel, constructed in 1878 in a building that first served as the city’s military headquarters. The hotel was removed as Presa Street was extended north to Houston Street, clearing the way for a new kind of building.

“Notable for the simplicity of line” — a modern building for a city remaking its downtown.
Period description cited in the National Register nomination
1922

A new skyline.

Designed by Lou Harrington and built by the Estate of George M. Maverick, the nine-story building arrived during San Antonio’s 1920s construction boom.

9

Stories

A reinforced-concrete high-rise with a full basement and flat roof, among the city’s early examples of the “tall building” type.

7

More were planned

Original drawings envisioned seven additional floors. Iron tie rods at the roof were later noted as evidence of those unrealized plans.

2

Primary façades

North and west elevations combine red brick with a three-story cut-stone base and stylized Corinthian pilasters.

3

Elevators

The historic lobby included a bank of three elevators alongside an open cast-iron stair with marble treads.

1922

Office life

Typical offices used oak and glass partitions, Florentine glass, mosaic tile corridors and shared walk-in vaults near the elevators.

1940s

Rooftop identity

The large metal “Maverick” signs became contributing features of the building’s historic character.

Change and preservation

Closed.
Saved.
Reused.

Its function changed dramatically, but the Maverick survived when many downtown buildings did not.

1981

Shuttered

After operating as an office building for almost sixty years, the Maverick closed and remained vacant for years.

1995

National Register listing

The building was officially listed January 24, 1995, with reference number 94001593. The nomination recognized both its architecture and its association with downtown planning and development.

1996

Converted to apartments

A residential conversion returned the building to active use after its long vacancy.

2010s

Major rehabilitation

A later rehabilitation repaired the exterior, restored architectural features and public spaces, and updated the building’s apartments. The project received a 2018 San Antonio Conservation Society Historic Preservation Award.

Today

Hospitality and extended stays

The Maverick now operates as an apartment-style hotel, keeping the landmark occupied and connected to downtown life.

Read the National Register nomination